Protect the Grove from lot splitting July 31st
On Monday 7/31 at 6:30 at City Hall 3500 Pan American Drive 33133 there will be a meeting to propose changes of NCD codes to eliminate the prohibition of lot splitting in the Grove. This is item #3 on the agenda. Of course, this meeting was scheduled for when so many Grove residents are out of town during the summer. If you are in town, please come. We must speak up now or lose the Grove forever.
Wherever you are, please take a few minutes to oppose this, by copying the letter below and emailing it to those below before Monday. I have the email addresses in 2 formats so that you may copy and paste. Thank you.
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],, [email protected]
Your Honor, Sir or Madame, Members of the Board
We object to the amendments to NCD-2&3 PZAB-10 File ID: (ID # 2661)
• Proposed changes to city NCD codes which would eliminate prohibition on lot splitting and impose the same requirements as the rest of the city. See pages 1213 and 1214 of PZAB material. It will take some time to download as the material is 1220 pages. http://miamifl.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1666&Inline=True
• What is eliminated: “Wherever an existing single-family residence or lawful accessory building(s) or structure(s) is located on one or more platted lots or portions thereof, such lots shall thereafter constitute only one building site and”
• Further it would impose the burden of the warrant process on every construction or remodel of a house in Coconut Grove, thus insuring that the properties that should be protected are obscured in the flock of legitimate projects.
• Here is the language in the Coral Gables Code which prohibits lot splitting: (Art #3-206 E.2.) http://coralgables.com/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentID=7951 (page 48)
2. Building site requirements. Wherever there may exist a single-family residence(s), duplex building(s) or any lawful accessory building(s) or structure(s) which was heretofore constructed on property containing one (1) or more platted lots or portions thereof, such lot or lots shall thereafter constitute only one (1) building site and no permit shall be issued for the construction of more than one (1) single-family residence or duplex building.
3. Removal of buildings. If a single-family residence or duplex building is demolished or removed, whether voluntarily or involuntarily or by an act of God or casualty, no permit shall be issued for the construction of more than one (1) building on the building site.
• This language is amazingly similar to the language prohibiting lot (building site) splitting in NCD-2&3. In Coral Gables it is, for the most part, understood and enforced. We advocate similar language and enforcement in the City of Miami.